June 12, 2014

Mason Jar Tea Light

Hi, it's Deena, sharing a project for a cute Mason Jar Tea Light project that's fairly simple to make.

The label I used was from the Farmhouse Label - Honey Creek Sunflower and Watermelon Seed printable from my website, Ewe-N-Me Printables.



This is how I made it...
I took an old salsa jar, cleaned it out well and made sure it was completely dry.

In a separate container I poured in about 1/4 cup of gloss Mod Podge, I then added some food coloring to the Mod Podge... 5 drops of red, 5 drops of yellow and a couple drops of green... mix this well. (when mixed it looked a dark mustard-ish color).

I poured the Mod Podge mixture into my jar and swirled it all around until the jar was completely covered.... resisting the urge to get a paint brush to cover those last couple spots that seemed impossible. I've read that using a brush will leave streaks.

After the inside of the jar was covered, I turned it upside down on a wire rack to dry. (Make sure you have something under the rack to catch the drips.)  It took a while to dry... I kinda just left it alone for a couple of days.

Once the jar was dry I added my label to the front by brushing Mod Podge to the back of the label and sticking it to the jar, smoothing out any air bubbles from the center to the outside.

I wrapped some jute/twine around the top of the jar. Sometimes the neck of the jar is a little messy from where the Mod Podge/Food Coloring dripped out, and this helps to cover that. You can see where mine looks that way a little bit.


 The tea light I used was one of the taller ones and it has a flicker bulb in it, but you could use one of the short ones and it would be just fine. Just DO NOT use a real candle... make sure it's the battery operated kind.

I added some bird seed to the bottom of the jar... it's mostly sunflower seed. :-) and sat the candle on top of the seed. It sits in there quite nicely.

It's on my mantle for now... can't wait to see what it looks like after dark.


Thanks for joining me today... hope you're inspired to make your own tea light from a mason jar.

Deena Davis
www.ewenmeprintables.com







5 comments:

beth b said...

What a great project! Your jar looks so nice on your mantle. I'm going to try it out!!

Unknown said...

Adorable! Thanks for sharing!!
Kim

Colleen said...

How neat is this! Looks pretty easy too so maybe I could do it. Thanks for sharing. :)

Cyn said...

oh my gosh this is seriously adorable!!!!

Deb said...

Wonderful project Deena, thank you for your tutorial!